Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Logo a Day Keeps the Doctor Away!

The Private Diary of a Logo Designing Professional

A logo a day keeps the doctor away. No it’s not what the doctor ordered. It just crossed my mind when I was writing an article one day. Then I went on to meet a friend who happens to be a logo designing professional. I am sure when you meet him you’ll say, “This guy is really encourageable”. He told me about some interesting events that took place in his professional life. I have intentionally omitted names of the client and his company from the narrative.

“I was getting a brief from a client one day which is a routine part of a logo designer’s work. This client happens to be from the clothing industry. The interesting thing is that he was insisting upon me to make him a unique logo design which could not be matched with any other logo design in the whole world. My imagination was running out of ideas and I was running out of patience. It was useless trying to make him understand that even other unique logo designs have some sort of similarity to another. This is by mere chance and there is no deliberate infringement of copyright involved.

I showed him examples of quite a few logos that looked slightly similar in design but he kept on with his argument. But then all of a sudden, a thought came to my mind and bingo, I got what he wanted.

I asked him to contact me the next week when I’ll give him two options to choose from. In the meantime, I pondered upon the client’s brief, the nature of his business and the company name. Then I searched for similar logo designs of companies similar in nature. I looked at each logo design individually and compared them with each other. It was quite astonishing that 70% of the logo designs had a slight similarity to one or the other logo design.

Nevertheless, I went on to work on his logo design and completed it within the given time frame. When my client came to see me the next week, I showed him the two options I had developed and he was speechless. He liked both of them and said he would use one logo design for his winter campaign and the other for summer.

You must be wondering what I did to satisfy my client. Well you see, I just took the name of his company and put it on a four hole button and that was it. Because I did not find a single logo design that had the image of a button, I used it for my client’s logo. Now a button is just an accessory for clothing but it was so natural that my client and I were both fascinated”.

Wow, so simple yet novel. I hope you all enjoyed this real life account of a logo designing professional. I’ll try to bring more of such interviews for you in the future.

End Note: The contents are the view points of the author and questions/responses are MORE than welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

blog search directory